The Allendale Train Tunnel

Posted on Updated on

The Allendale train tunnel is located south of Cincinnati, in the woods behind the Allendale trailer park in Elsmere, Kentucky. Some years ago, legend says a man hung himself from a hook that is set above the tunnel entrance. Now, his ghost is said to walk the tunnel, or some say, appear still hanging from the hook. There are also reports of disembodied voices, as well as screams coming from inside the tunnel.

There is sometimes confusion with finding it because it’s known as a train tunnel. No train runs through it. It’s actually a tunnel for the stream that runs under the tracks. To reach it, you must enter the woods, travel down a hill, and follow a stream to reach the location. Heavily spray painted and littered, it’s obviously been a teen hangout for years.

There is a hook above both entrances, so at least that part of the legend is true, But who knows if anyone hung themselves from either one. Good luck finding it, it can be a pain to get to.

About these ads

11 thoughts on “The Allendale Train Tunnel

angel austin said:
    March 24, 2012 at 7:47 pm

i live here in allendale

Brant Bjork said:
      November 11, 2012 at 1:26 pm

lol you live in a trailer park

taylorteaseofficial said:
    February 19, 2013 at 12:50 am

My local Paranormal Investigation team (Queen City Ghost Hunters) and I investigated this place. We have several photos of orbs and such, video quality was shit so the recordings are garbage, and we all heard footsteps in the water while inside the tunnel. Legend has it that a man hung himself, but we picked up on multiple presences, not just one. I can’t say what it is or why the place is haunted, but there is definetly something going on down there!

SHIRLEY said:
    June 4, 2013 at 1:51 am

I USED TO LIVE THERE AND THATPLACE STILL MAKES THE HAIRS ON THE BACK OF MY NECK STAND UP

Jeff said:
    July 25, 2013 at 11:23 pm

I lived here when I was a kid about 15 or so years ago. Back then you could actually get on top of the tunnel by the entrance, there was less overgrowth. People were saying a man hung himself from that hook back when I was a kid too. Dunno if it’s true or not. I used to play in that tunnel all the time. It looks different than it did when I was a kid. It still looks creepy though. I spent 5 or so years in that trailer park. I eventually moved to Newport.

I also remember an old tree house up in a big tree that we could never get too. Wonder if it’s still there…

Reva said:
      November 21, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Hey Jeff, I remember we could walk to the top of the tunnel too would jump off the top of the tunnel into the water as kids haha. I remember the tree house too!! It was really high up close to the top of the hill.

Jeff said:
        March 8, 2014 at 10:41 am

My brothers and I spent a lot of time in that tunnel. I can only remember a few times that we were down there after all these years. I may go back there one day.

The tree house was missing the boards that you could climb when I was a kid, so we couldn’t get up there. They may have tore it down by now.

Sorry it took so long for me to respond, I forgot the name of this website. You may not get a chance to read this, but it was good meeting and talking to someone who grew up where I did. :)

Reva said:
      May 10, 2014 at 1:39 am

@Jeff -I bet we lived there the same time in the 90’s! Feel free to add me on Facebook if you have it. It is really cool, I have a ton of good memories there.

Jeff said:
        May 24, 2014 at 5:12 am

I remember you. I didn’t realize it until I saw your last name. Your brother’s name is Chris, I think, right?

Kaleb said:
    October 6, 2013 at 2:02 pm

My aunt talks to spirits so I asked if she would go down there with me at night to go and ask the spirit if it knew anything about a death that occurred in my family recently in the park. When we went down there my aunt said a prayer to protect us from any spirit from following us home. We sat on the other side of the tunnel (which isn’t visible in the pic). She got up after a few moments of silence and went into the tunnel for about 2 minutes. When she came out she said she felt a female and male presence. She said that the female presence was protecting us from the male presence. The male presence was obviously the man who hung himself but the female presence was a woman named Margret that was buried on the 0ther side of the train tracks in the 1800’s after she was murdered. When I ask Margret questions I could kind of feel an answer but I wasn’t sure so I ask my aunt who gave me the answer from Margret. Margret said that the male presence regretted killing himself and was looking for a way to be human again which freaked me out. Margret said to not go down there at night without my aunt and if, which I don’t think I will, I go down there in the day to say a prayer like ” god protect me” or something like that.

spooks and stuff said:
    September 6, 2014 at 11:01 am

looking for people to investigate this location.